Have you ever felt stuck? Ever got in a rut of feeling unhappy? The holidays can bring a range of emotions for people but there is research that suggests you can be intentional about boosting your level of happiness.* Here are a few happiness boosters:
- Count your blessings. Reflect at the end of the day and write down 3 things that went well and why they went well.
- Write a gratitude letter. Write a letter of gratitude to someone you have not previously thanked. If appropriate, meet the person and read the letter.
- Practice mindfulness. Take a few minutes each day to bring your full and complete attention to something you are doing: for example, walking, eating, listening, breathing.
- Set goals. Write down a goal you want to reach that is consistent with your life values. Write down your plan of action for reaching that goal.
- Imagine your best self. Imagine a future in which you are bringing your best possible self forward. Visualize a “best possible self” that is very pleasing to you and that you are interested in.
I encourage you to try one or all of these especially during the holiday season and see how much your happiness increases. When we intentionally focus our attention on what’s going right instead of what’s going wrong and we actively work on moving forward, our journey becomes more joyful. Happiness is linked to walking in your purpose. Take some time to evaluate your purpose and put some happiness boosters into your life.
*Happiness boosters taken from https://www.viacharacter.org/topics/articles/the-10-most-popular-happiness-boosters
~Coletta Jones Patterson
Coletta is an author, speaker, life coach and business executive who is passionate about helping others get unstuck. She hosts a weekly beyond stuck podcast and has written seven inspirational books. Connect with Coletta at email@example.com.