To my mole constellations and the waves that make up my curvaceous crest. How I love the ocean I am in.
1. Look at yourself in the mirror. Notice the breath in your body? Think of the time things were real bad. Consider now, and cry Glory.
2. Don’t change who you are. Grow who you are. Be your unique, beautiful self. May your light shine bright.
3. It’s eight fifteen in the morning and you’re doing your hair in the car on the way to work. You’re late. You’re always late (and you need to wash your hair). Put on Beyonce and choreograph a dance routine for the remainder of the ride (listen to Solange on the way home).
4. You’ve been waiting on someone to come through. They’re dragging their feet and you’re swinging yours! Do the thing YOURSELF to the best of your ability.
5. You’re exhausted, but there is still a lot more stuff to be done. Go to bed. Then wake up and begin again.
6. Voice the unpopular opinion, challenge convention, get clarification until you have clarity, and speak up when something is unjust. Be bold, transparent, embrace the unfamiliar, and people will never forget you.
7. You’re doing that thing again where you tell everyone “you’ve got it under control”. Stop it. We don’t have to do this anymore. Take responsibility for your well-being. Ask for help.
8. You’re at a breaking point and you’re questioning absolutely everything. You may have gone off on someone. Stop everything. Go to the bathroom. Run a tub full of hot water and soak in it. Let the steam exfoliate your skin until your thoughts are clearer. Issue apologies as necessary. Forgive. Be free.
9. Everyone seems to be gaining ground in their careers and on their projects. Stop comparing and over-analyzing. It’s a super big planet and there’s room for everyone to do great work and evolve. Show love and support… like a big girl. ❤
Clinnesha is a writer, wife, mom, meta-artist, and social entrepreneur who feels most accountable to southern, black citizen-artists, elders, children, and families. Her work is at the intersection of arts, culture, innovation, and community.