I wouldn’t call 2016’s year end my most successful holiday season. There was a lot of tension and frayed nerves to navigate. One extremely positive thing that did happen involved my finding my way inside of a Barnes and Noble and purchasing a copy of Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes. I had told myself that I would eventually get to it but circumstances pushed me to get the book that day.
I read it through cover to cover in a day and a half.
And then I made a choice. I chose to say, “Yes” to many things in my life that previously I had put on hold.
I didn’t do it to join a trend and I didn’t really announcement my decision to the world. That’s right, I didn’t declare my intentions on Facebook and stalk my Like counter to see who was supporting me in this decision.
I supported my damn self.
Looking back now I feel its time to reflect for myself and if you’re reading this right now it means I have come to the decision that the act of sharing these revelations is part of what I need to grow and kick the Yes thing to a new level.
1. I Said Yes to Myself
2. I Said Yes to My Loved Ones
3. I Said Yes to My Wants
4. I Said Yes to Surrendering OFIs Back to Their Appropriate Owners
5. I Said Yes to Focusing on the Work I Enjoy
6. I Said Yes to Quitting Things That Brought My More Stress Than Delight
7. I Said Yes to Stay At Home Weekends
8. I Said Yes to Celebrating Me
9. I Said Yes to Not Having It All Together At All Times
10. I Said Yes to Shedding My Hair
11. I Said Yes to Long Solo Road Trips
12. I Said Yes to Accepting Help From Friends
13. I Said Yes to Being More Vulnerable, and Survived the Experience
14. I Said Yes to Surrendering Control At Times
15. I Said Yes to NOT Being THE LEADER
16. I Said Yes to Accepting That I’m Better Off Without Certain People In My Life
17. I Said Yes to Unshelving Some of My Old Dreams
18. I Said Yes to Buying Some Things On Faith and Trusting That It Would All Work Out
19. I Said Yes to Being Ready For Some Major Life Changes
20. I Said Yes to Being Selfish More
21. I Said Yes to Trusting My Spouse More
22. I Said Yes to Making More Time For Those Who Make Time For Me
23. I Said Yes to Asking For Help Directly
24. I Said Yes to A Fitness Plan, Failed and Worked to Figure Out How to Get Back At It
25. I Said Yes to Not Trying To Fix The Crazy In Others
26. I Said Yes to Indulging In My Movies and TV Shows More
27. I Said Yes to Investing in Indie Projects That I Love
28. I Said Yes to My Definition Of Home Being Different From The Norm
29. I Said Yes to Being Comfortable In My Own Space
30. I Said Yes to Being Comfortable In My Own Skin
31. I Said Yes to Solo Brunches
32. I Said Yes to Working On Being My Entire Self At All Times
33. I Said Yes to 19 Crimes 🍷
34. I Said Yes to Letting Go Of Past Hurts
35. I Said Yes to My Writing
36. I Said Yes to Embracing The Unknown And Blocking Fear Before It Can Take Root
37. I Said Yes to Being Fully Happy As A Norm Not An Exception
Marta C. Youngblood is a writer, education and social entrepreneur based in Lubbock, Texas. For more information on her current projects visit https://about.me/MCyoungblood.