New Year’s Day brings a feeling of expectation and anticipation as we remember memories from the past year and anticipate even better ones in the coming year. Many of us even say and wholeheartedly believe it will be our BEST year. I sincerely hope it will be my best year yet, but some things must come into play for that to happen. These are some things I’ve been reflecting on to make sure 2018 holds my brightest days.
- Set “SMART” goals (S-specific, M-measurable, A-achievable, R-realistic/relevant, T-time bound/timely).
- Put action plans to each goal. How will you accomplish the goal? Break the plan into small steps.
- Don’t bite off more than you can chew. It’s better to set one or two SMART goals than a long list of goals that are not realistic.
- Consider focusing on one area of your life that you want to improve or enhance (i.e. spiritually, financially, career-wise, physically, etc.).
- Choose an accountability partner who can touch base with you weekly or monthly to ensure you’re making progress.
- Have a plan for celebrating victories, even if they are small wins.
- Have a strong support network of mentors, cheerleaders, friends and coaches who can look out for your best interests and catch your blind spots.
- Make time for self-evaluation, reflection and self-care. You cannot neglect yourself while pursuing your goals.
- Beware of “goal fatigue”—losing interest in pursuing goals because you are tired from working so much at achieving goals. Give yourself time to celebrate and rest in between major accomplishments.
- Rehearse positive affirmations daily. Be your own cheerleader.
- Avoid negativity and those who are not working for you. Choose your inner circle wisely.
2018 can be your BEST year, but it will take you being your BEST self. Bring your “A game” and work your action plan. Don’t give up. You got this!
~Coletta Jones Patterson
Coletta is an author, life/executive coach, business executive and weekly blogger. Connect with Coletta at firstname.lastname@example.org.