Ever been running or exercising and all you wanted was a cold glass of water? Remember how it felt when you drank that glass of water? You were experiencing “times of refreshing”. The bible speaks of times of refreshing that we all need…once our sins are wiped out.
In this setting, I’m speaking of times of refreshing that come when we get rid of things that are toxic to us. When was the last time you felt refreshed? Have you slowed down long enough to rest, relax and renew? With so many things on our daily “to do lists”, there’s barely time to even eat, let alone sit still and relax. But as I get older, I’m learning that my body needs time to rest, relax and renew so it can function at it’s maximum capacity. Our bodies were created to last, if we take care of them. We must resist the urge to be super woman and super man. We weren’t created with those superhuman qualities. We were created to be with people and in relationship with people so they can help us. We were created to be with “helpmetes” and friends to encourage us along the way. Where did we get off thinking that we can do this journey alone? We can’t. And if you try, your body will let you know. Here are some ways you can rest, relax and renew so you can fully enjoy life and experience times of refreshing!
- Meditate on the Word everyday. Read scriptures and inspirational thoughts and let them soak in.
- Listen to your body. If something doesn’t feel right, check into it—emotionally, spiritually, and physically.
- Get plenty of sleep and allow your body to rest and wind down.
- Spend time doing something you enjoy that’s not related to work.
- Hang around others who encourage, uplift and allow you to be yourself.
- Ask for help. You weren’t meant to do everything.
- Take a vacation and abandon the “to do list”.
- Enjoy nature by taking a walk, a hike, or sitting on the porch. Look at God’s handiwork.
- Get rid of negativity. Don’t spend time with those who are negative and critical. Don’t engage in negative talk. Don’t talk negatively about yourself.
- Take care of your body by eating healthy and exercising.
Go be your BEST self!
~Coletta Jones Patterson
*I’d love to connect with you as your personal development coach and help you create the life you were born to live. Email email@example.com and let’s get started.