Loss…that’s a word we don’t like to hear. However, if we continue to live, we will encounter loss if we have not already. Learning how to deal with it provides us with an opportunity to pick up the pieces and move forward. Loss can be going through a divorce, losing a close family member, breaking up with a boyfriend, losing a house to foreclosure or losing a position you thought you were sure to get. Loss can be difficult on many levels.
First of all, we must understand that loss happens to all of us. Somewhere in the midst of the pain and confusion, we can find the good. Perhaps a better house is on the horizon or a job that is better suited for our needs and skills.
Secondly, loss can teach us about who we really are. Loss can make us more resilient which is the idea of bouncing back from difficulties and challenges. The more resilient we are, the happier we will be.
Thirdly, loss has the power to propel us forward through giving us a different perspective. What can I learn from this position as I prepare for my next one? What lessons did I learn from the relationship I just left? What memories can I treasure from the loved one that passed away?
Next time you are faced with a tremendous loss:
- Take a step back and look at the pieces you have left. What have you gained from that experience?
- Begin to make a new masterpiece with those pieces. You will find that you still have valuable pieces that will make a beautiful art piece.
- Give yourself permission and allow sufficient time to grieve.
- Allow your soul to heal.
- Once you are on the road to healing, look forward and expect something new to emerge.
- Don’t remain stuck looking back at what you lost.
- Move forward and be free!
~Coletta Jones Patterson
*If you are dealing with loss and ready to move forward, let’s connect and see how I can help you pick up those pieces and move forward. I can provide accountability, guidance and support. I’d love to hear from you at email@example.com. For more inspiration on your journey, check out my latest book, “Developing Faith that Wins: Stories of My Journey” available on http://www.amazon.com.