I read the story recently of the sower in Mark chapter 4 and was reminded that the “Word” or instruction goes forth at church, school and other places. Although everyone receives the same word, what happens after the service or lesson is given, is up to the individual. The story relays four things can happen.
1. You can hear the word but before you even have a chance to take hold of it, it’s blown away. It’s gone by the wayside.
2. You can hear the word and it fall on stony ground meaning it went in one ear but soon went out the other ear. It never took root.
3. You can hear the word and it fall on thorny ground. In time, the thorns choke the word out meaning you try for a while to apply the word but because of the environment around you/in you, it doesn’t last producing no results.
4. You can hear the word and it fall on good ground meaning you applied it in your life and saw results. And the results can be in varying degrees.
This story reminds us that everyone has potential. We all have access to the same Word or instruction whether it’s at church, our individual study of the Word, in school, etc. but our results will depend solely on what we do with the information we learned. Many times, out of frustration, ignorance or discouragement, we place blame on the person who preached the word, or the teacher who instructed us or on someone who seemed to hinder our progress when we don’t get the desired results. However, it takes maturity to own the fact that we are responsible for our progress or lack thereof.
When we encounter information, we should:
1. Listen intently.
2. Hold on to that which is good.
3. Apply the information to our lives and practice.
4. Continue to apply it until we see the desired results.
Remember, in every classroom, there are A students and F students. Aim to be an A student by following the steps above. Potential means nothing without performance. Rise to the challenge to receive the lessons taught and get results.
~Coletta Jones Patterson
*For more inspiration on your journey, work with Coletta as a personal development/life coach and receive motivation to move forward and get your desired results with accountability and guidance!